Fire in Sagebrook causes smoke damagePosted December 4, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Filed Under: Front Page, Village Mill
By Wendy Parker
Five fire and EMS units from Waterford, Clover Hill, and Midlothian Fire Stations responded to a furnace fire in the garage of a Sagebrook home on the afternoon of Monday, December 3.
According to homeowner Susan DiGiovanni, a furnace repairman had just left the house when smoke began pouring through the vents and ducts, filling the house with smoke. DiGiovanni grabbed her phone and she and her daughter Kyleigh, 13, left the house and she immediately called 911. She said she felt a little frustrated when her call was put on hold, however, emergency vehicles were on the scene quickly.
According to Battalion Chief Stuart Dalton, because Digiovanni had turned off the pilot light when she saw flames in the gas furnace as they exited the garage, there was no fire damage, but smoke damage throughout the home.
Standing outside watching firefighters open windows and doors to let the smoke escape, mother and daughter awaited news of their five indoor cats that they suspected were hiding under beds. When they were permitted to go indoors, they retrieved all five cats and took them to the animal hospital, where two of cats were treated for smoke inhalation.
DiGiovanni said the inside of the home “is a mess” but fully insured, and most importantly, she and her daughter are fine.