County offers back-to-school safety tips for kids & adultsPosted September 10, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Filed Under: Front Page, Schools, Village Mill
Parents and children are encouraged to follow safety tips for an accident-free school year.
Tips for Bus Riders
• Do not play in the street while waiting for the bus.
• Carry all loose belongings in a bag or backpack.
• Never reach under a bus to get anything that has rolled or fallen beneath it.
• Line up facing the bus, not alongside it.
• Move immediately away from traffic and onto the sidewalk after getting off the bus.
• Wait for a signal from the bus driver before crossing the street and walk at least 10 steps away from the front of the bus so the driver can see you.
Tips for Pedestrians & Cyclists
• Never walk alone—
always travel with a buddy.
• Wear reflective or brightly colored clothing to increase visibility.
• Respect traffic lights and street signs.
• Always wear a helmet when riding a bicycle.
• Avoid loose-fitting clothing that could get caught in bike spokes or pedals.
Tips for Car Drivers & Passengers
• Make sure young
children are in safety seats at all times, and that the seats have been properly installed.
• All children under 13 years old should ride in the rear seat of vehicles.
• Remember that many crashes occur while novice teen drivers are going to and from school. Consider limiting the number of teen passengers to prevent driver distraction.
• Do not allow your teen to drive while eating, drinking, talking or texting on a cell phone.